Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hurrican season and current projects

First of all, happy hurricane season to you all! Even before the official June 1 start, we had a little bugger jump the gun: a tropical storm in the Atlantic that didn't make landfall. It's been quiet so far, nothing like two years ago when Hurricane Barry arrived in Florida June 2, as if it could read the freakin' calendar and didn't want to miss out on the party. But still, the weather report gets an extra special listen from now until November.

This is my third hurricane season in Florida. The first two have been relatively quiet, but there's something unnerving to that yearly ritual of going to Costco to buy supplies. Water, instant oatmeal, energy bars, canned goods, all sorts of electricity-free goodies to keep us alive should a Big One hit. It makes me realize how much we take for granted. Laundry machines for clothes. Clean safe water--hot when want it hot, cold when we want it cold. And of course, the biggie: a house to keep you safe from the big, bad world. I guess it's good to think about these things once a year.

In other, slightly less grim news, I am hard at work on the edits for my third novel. I don't like to talk about works in progress, it's very bad luck. So I'll post more about it when the pub date gets closer and my part of it is finished. But I will say this, I think it's got the best opening line of any of my books...

More later,

Tammar

No comments: