Friday, June 6, 2008

Names

So hurricane season started on Sunday and so far so good. We did have the precocious Arthur forming before the season officially started, but he never got close to us. Still, I have cause for concern. You see, I've just read the storm names for the 2008 season and it's doesn't look good.

Last year, the B storm was named Barry. I knew I didn't have anything to worry about. Even when it arrived at Florida on June 2, one day after the start of the season, I didn't even flinch. How can you fear a storm named Barry? Puleaze. But this year, I'm scared. This year, the B storm is Bertha. Bertha! What the hell were they thinking? Bertha can do major damage. Cristobal could be bad. Dolly...I don't know. I just don't know. Edouard. Fay. Gustav. Hanna. Ike. Josephine. Kyle. Laura. Marco. Nana...

The experts are calling for an active storm season, so there's a good chance we make it O. If we do, we're all doomed. The O storm this year is...Omar.

Assuming we survive Omar, which I'm not counting on, we still have Paloma, Rene, Sally, Teddy, Vicky, and Wilfred.

Buy lots of bottled water. Keep your gas tank 3/4 full. And head for the hills when Big Bertha comes to town.

More later,

Tammar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write. I just randomly picked up your book LIGHT YEARS in a bookstore the day before yesterday and finished it in a few hours. I fell in love with it, having just come back to NY from Israel. You are an amazing author, I hope to see more of your work soon (I have to pick up your latest soon). I hope you write more about Israel!

laila tov v toda roba roba robaaaa!
Elina Bank
SunshineOfEternal@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Be safe and take care.

Have you read Prom Kings and Drama Queens by Dorian Cirrone? It takes the concept of storm names and applies it very well to its main character.

I dropped by your site today because I read High Dive yesterday and Light Years years ago, and found both of them to be wonderful, poignant stories. Thank you so much for sharing them. I'm a bookseller and writer. I frequently recommend Light Years; now I'll do the same for High Dive. Best wishes with your next book. I know I'll be reading it!